Re: Adds dimension stencil command to correct with-dimension (issue 1295

From: Mike Solomon
Subject: Re: Adds dimension stencil command to correct with-dimension (issue 12957047)
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 07:08:10 +0300

On 25 août 2013, at 16:04, address@hidden wrote:

> On 2013/08/25 08:22:01, mike7 wrote:
>> On 25 août 2013, at 09:15, mailto:address@hidden wrote:
>
>> > A second stencil is not a very good data structure for reserving
> space.
>> > Skylines are better at this, and we can \once\override 'padding and
>> > 'horizon-padding to get padding that follows the outlines of the
>> > stencil.
>> [...]
>> If
>> we're going to do that, then we should think of the general problem
> we're trying
>> to solve.  To me, the general problem seems to be "how can we replace
> the
>> outline of one shape with that of another?"
>
> No, that is _absolutely_ not the general problem here.  The general
> problem is: "how can we replace the outline/skylines of one stencil with
> a different outline/skyline?"

It seems like what would make sense is for stencils to carry their own skyline
information, much like they carry their own dimension information.  That way,
we would replace a skyline in the same way that we replace the dimension.

This type of storage within the stencil data structure itself would be
consistent with the current use of skylines.  In fact, the X and Y dimensions
would no longer need to be specified and could come directly from the skylines.

Cheers,
MS