Re: Adds dimension stencil command to correct with-dimension (issue 1295

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Adds dimension stencil command to correct with-dimension (issue 12957047)
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 00:47:40 -0700

On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 23:30:32 -0700, Mike Solomon <address@hidden> wrote:

On 28 août 2013, at 05:28, "Keith OHara" <address@hidden> wrote:

Of course I think it would be better to allow box dimensions in the stencil
expression.  Boxes are simple enough to enter as coordinates in markup
expressions like \pad-to-box, they are a useful building block for arbitrary
skylines, and the current code builds skylines from the stencil expression.

If we are willing to say that boxes should be an exception because of how
primitive they are, then it makes more sense to make an exception for them, as
they can be used in concord to create more complex structures.  In that case,
we may want to accept a list of boxes (or a list of quadrilaterals) instead of
just a box, as at that point we can approximate any shape.

Another reason for making an exception for boxes is the preexistence of
\pad-to-box  as a markup command, while we now base our padding on skylines
derived from the stencil expressions.

If we still think this way in a day, I'll repost the patch that adds the
stencil-primitive 'with-dimensions,  supports {cresc. \pad-around 0.5 "- - -"},
and removes the faint box around harp-pedals.

A stencil-primitive 'with-dimension could be extended in a natural way to a
list of boxes, if we want that in the future.