Re: getting fc-list to see gsfonts

From: Julien Rioux
Subject: Re: getting fc-list to see gsfonts
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 15:15:45 -0400

On 11/09/2013 2:38 PM, Mark Polesky wrote:
Julien Rioux wrote:
But now I'm curious, how do I get fc-list to "see" the
fonts in the gsfonts directory?

Looks like you have to run fc-cache to update the
database. Something like: sudo fc-cache -fsv

Julien and David,

I'll start by reiterating that my build now works fine, as
long as I do:

   ../configure --with-ncsb-dir=/usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/

So, I have a successful workaround.  And yes David, I
manually applied Julien's patch before he pushed it.  Now
I'm simply curious to see how I can get fc-list to see the
fonts.  Julien, I tried both of these:

   sudo fc-cache -fsv
   sudo fc-cache -fsv /usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/

With both commands, I get output that contains this:

   /usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts: caching, new cache
   contents: 35 fonts, 0 dirs
   /var/cache/fontconfig: cleaning cache directory
   fc-cache: succeeded

And yet

   fc-list | grep entury

returns nothing, even after rebooting.

I have the same problem (fc database not updating). I'm not sure how to update this fc-list stuff, but it seemed to me that fc-cache is the command we want to use for it, though, it doesn't seem to work here either.

Julien, I'd like to make a suggestion.  In the error
message, I think it would be far more helpful if instead of
this

   or use --with-ncsb-dir

it said something like this

   or use `configure --with-ncsb-dir=PATH_TO_GSFONTS_DIR'

The point is that it is not at all intuitive to know that
gsfonts is the source of the New Century Schoolbook files.

Well, it's not clear that gsfonts is the correct directory for everyone.

Cheers,
Julien