Re: Build everything on the first pass of make. (issue 13333048)

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Build everything on the first pass of make. (issue 13333048)
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 10:47:20 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 11:04 AM

Reviewers: John Mandereau, lemzwerg,

Message:
Please review.

Build everything on the first pass of make.

Everything should be built and up-to-date after a one-shot `make' call.
Currently, this is not the case: fonts are being rebuilt on the secnod
pass. This required a dependency fix for emmentaler fonts. The
dependencies are ordered so that fonts aren't rebuilt on a subsequent
call to make.

I don't understand what you're fixing here, Julien. On my machine, deleting the build directory completely, then recreating it and running make (-j9 of course) completely rebuilds the binaries in a single pass. Further immediate calls to make do nothing.

The only significant bug in this area that I'm aware of is that modifying metafont files does not cause the font files to be rebuilt - we have to do some deleting in build/mf/out to force a rebuild.

--
Phil Holmes