Re: we now have "lilypond" organization on GitHub

From: Karl Hammar
Subject: Re: we now have "lilypond" organization on GitHub
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 13:24:01 +0200 (CEST)

Urs Liska:
> Am 17.09.2013 18:21, schrieb David Kastrup:
> > Janek Warchoł<address@hidden>  writes:

> >> Here you go:
> >> A web interface with online editor, allowing to create commits from a
> >> web browser, on any branch (as well as creating branches), integrated
> >> with pull requests and automatic forking (so that when someone without
> >> write access tries to modify a file, Savannah automatically forks the
> >> repository for him and when he's done making the change, a pull
> >> request is sent to the original repository).  Also, being able to post
> >> comments on commits, and integration of pull requests with code
> >> review.  And the ability to update a pull request with new commits.
> >>
> >> As far as i know Savannah doesn't have these features.  When it will
> >> have, i'll be happy to switch, but i don't expect it will happen today
> >> or tomorrow, so i'm going to use Github for now.
> > Now basically we have to split these into two different sets of
> > requirements: Savannah does not provide accounts or services to the
> > general public; its services will be restricted to actual developers.
> >
> > But what you list above mostly is _not_ related to participating with
> > the project but rather with managing one's own repository using a
> > graphical interface that just happens to be provided as a web service,
> > in a similar vein to Gmail providing a web interface to handling a mail
> > account.
>
> I think that's not quite true.
> IIUC Janek lists options that allow people to contribute to LilyPond
> without officially applying to be developers.
>
> You are doing code reviews through a web interface already, isn't it?
> And this is because that's a quite natural way to communicate, comment
> on code etc.

What's natural is different for different people.

Web interfaces are not natural for me, to the contrary, for me
they appear constrained.

> You can't do _that_ with plain Git.

Github isn't plain git either.

I'm perfectly fine with git and email, your requirments might differ
from mine.

///

I don't know about github, but I wouldn't be surprised if their rules
would be something that I wouldn't accept. You might be more liberal
in what you tolerate from 3rd parties.

Regards,
/Karl Hammar

Aspö Data