Re: we now have "lilypond" organization on GitHub

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: we now have "lilypond" organization on GitHub
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 14:26:00 +0200

2013/9/17 Urs Liska <address@hidden>:
> But as far as I've understood, code doesn't get into upstream master that
> way anyway, there is the Rietveld code review stage in between?
> How do commits (from developers) actually end up in master?
> Are they a) pushed to some branch, the diff uploaded to Rietveld, and upon
> acceptance the branch merged to master?
> Or are b) commits uploaded to Rietveld and then applied as patches to the
> upstream repository?
>
> For an outsider this process is quite obscure, and probably that's the point
> where one could start to improve.
> If it works like b) one should simply make the process more transparent so
> it's not as adventurous to dive in.
> If it works like a) it's as I've said: there should be a way an external
> contributor can get commits into the repository.

It's
c) they are usually not pushed to any branch, unless it's a big or
long-running change (think "Mike's skylines").  If you want to base
some new work on a yet unmerged patch, you usually need to ask the
author to push the branch.  They are uploaded to Rietveld as a diff
(all commits squashed), and when the change is accepted, the developer
merges the branch locally and pushes it.

One problem is that you usually don't see how the final commit message
will look like (or how the patch is split into several commits) until
it's pushed.

Janek