Re: we now have "lilypond" organization on GitHub

From: Joseph Rushton Wakeling
Subject: Re: we now have "lilypond" organization on GitHub
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 13:42:20 +0200

On 22/09/13 17:53, David Kastrup wrote:
Yup.  So we are talking about creating untested patches here that
eventually travel into the usual testing pipeline we use.

The main GitHub-hosted project that I'm involved with has auto-testing set up for pull requests, that's obviously integrated to some degree with GitHub itself (as the pull requests display info about test pass/failures).

I don't know how much work might be involved or what tools would be needed, but there's certainly no problem in principle with using GitHub and having rigorous testing of all submitted code. In fact it should be easier for contributors to use than Rietveld because it entirely avoids the need for the custom tools that Lilypond currently uses for Riedveld submission.

The major problems that I can see with GitHub are a mix of GNU (it's a non-free online tool) and the potential for lockin (GitHub is very obviously positioning itself to be _the_ online collaboration space and is developing a whole load of functionality that is only available via its web service and not offline).