Re: Looks for prebroken pieces of dead items in the pure relevant functi

From: Mike Solomon
Subject: Re: Looks for prebroken pieces of dead items in the pure relevant function. (issue 18090043)
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 09:09:42 +0100

On Oct 30, 2013, at 8:32 AM, address@hidden wrote:

> I do not understand the Todo: comment; nothing should have been suicided
> at this stage.  What is the life cycle of a Clef and the copies made for
> line-breaking possibilities?

The original clef is suicided in the handle_prebroken_dependencies function,
which is the same place that the new begin and end of line grobs are created
(see break-substitution.cc).

> Is the never-printed original Clef /ever/
> is_live(), or just its broken copies?

It is live before handle_prebroken_copies.  In this function, the broken copies
are created, and then it is suicided.

Conceptually, I don’t like the idea that a suicided grob contains useful
information.  You’ll see in the suicide function that its entire cache is
cleared out (Grob::suicide) save one or two things (Item::suicide).  I think
everything should be cleared out.  Otherwise, the code is less maintainable -
developers will have to remember what type of information suicided grobs hold
and what type they don’t.  That’s why I created
https://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=3636.

Cheers,
MS