Re: Microtonal accidentals

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Microtonal accidentals
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 06:16:42 +0000 (UTC)

Joseph Rushton Wakeling <joseph.wakeling <at> webdrake.net> writes:

> Specifically in relation to the Helmholtz-Ellis notation -- some of those
> accidentals would play very badly with existing Lilypond transposition
rules.

> The double-sharp-up-arrow (i.e. approx +5/4 tone) and double-flat-down-
arrow
> (approx. -5/4 tone) would clash with the hardcoded transposition rule that
sees
> any accidental pitch alteration greater than 1 tone rewritten to a new
staff
> pitch with smaller alteration.

For a long time LilyPond preserved the triple-sharp alteration
(still complaining if there is no glyph defined to print that alteration).
This was changed, maybe by accident, with another bug
<http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=1009>

I searched and found only one complaint about the old behavior, a
parenthetical remark in
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2009-04/msg00649.html>
and there is a documented function to reduce g-triple-sharp to a-sharp
when it is desired, so I proposed to back out that change.