Re: Repeats starting and ending in mid-bar?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Repeats starting and ending in mid-bar?
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 16:27:33 +0100

"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

> From: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
>
>> I'm occasionally repondering the barline |: :| issue and I want to know
>> if anybody's music typesetting theory text or private music library has
>> examples of repeats starting and/or ending in mid-bar.  I seem to
>> remember that there is some weakened double bar in use for that,
>> something like ||: :|| instead of the current .|: :|. (according to our
>> notation).  Do I remember right?
>
> Gould only uses the colon; thin line; thick line; style of repeat,
> whether it's a bar line or not.

Hm, ok.  Considering the typical length of bars, there will not be much
of an incentive to use repeats for less than a measure's length anyway.
It's probably more a phenomenon in shorthand.  I can imagine that it
might possibly be seen more often in, say, jazz sheets (which visually
take much more of a cue from handwriting) rather than classical scores.
But those might possibly omit the thick line anyway.

Is it all too obvious that I'm just fumbling in the dark?