Re: Some audicious hand-engraved slurs compared to LilyPond

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Some audicious hand-engraved slurs compared to LilyPond
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2013 15:12:46 +0100

Joseph Rushton Wakeling <address@hidden> writes:

> On 03/12/13 14:25, David Nalesnik wrote:
>> The problem is that the position of the tuplet number is tied to the
>> placement
>> of the tuplet bracket, whether it is drawn or not.
>
> I would argue that probably here the _real_ problem is that the tuplet
> bracket is designed to always place itself "outside" all the notes,
> whereas if you look at hand-engraved scores, you'd see that the likely
> way this would be handled would be for the number _and_ the bracket to
> be close to the beam, and for the bracket to be broken to let the
> couple of opposing stems through.

I would not argue that.  Placing a number without a bracket should place
a number without a bracket, regardless of how good or bad a bracket, if
one wanted to speculate about placing it, would fit.

Conflating the two issues will cause artificial compromises for either
case where no compromise is called for.