Re: Website improvements, part 1

From: James
Subject: Re: Website improvements, part 1
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 14:59:29 +0000

Urs,

On 11/12/13 14:36, Urs Liska wrote:
Am 11.12.2013 15:31, schrieb James:
Urs,

On 11/12/13 14:14, David Kastrup wrote:
Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

I have discussed with Carl (Peterson) that it would be good to proceed
with the following steps:
- get the proposed _content_ changes into a shape for a formal review.
   (Do this informally and incrementally so we'll have only one formal
review in the end)
- Once that's clear Carl will work on a new appearance,
   taking into account if the content would require structural changes
- While he's working on that translators can try to update the website
translations
The last point won't work: you rather need to update the structure of
the translations yourself so that the result passes compilation and is
valid HTML.

The problem we have is that translators work on a single branch, and
that branch currently is a translation of the stable/2.18 branch.  It
does not make sense to change this before the release, and we'll likely
be locked until 2.18.1 as well.

In addition, only some translations are actually reasonably up-to-date,
so even without this impediment, you need to get the structure fixed in
a time frame independent from the ongoing translations.

I am starting some patches for Web part of the 'doc' via the tracker and these are going to be against staging/master. So it would be helpful for you I think if you did just base all your work on 2.18 as you may be having to rebase all the time or get frustrated as the staging tree moves along. At least stable/2.18 is going to be reasonably static.

Just my 2 cents worth based on experience like this.

James

OK, this means:
- I rebase my current branch on stable/2.18
- when I'm finished (including informal reviews along the way)
  I rebase again if 2.18 should have moved in the meantime
?

What to do then?
What are you working on?

There are a few Web issues on the tracker that are adding links for user's own work (I.e. my work is all TexInfo based, none of the CSS or SOE stuff) such as what people have done with LilyPond, Video Tutorial links and the like.

This will all, once approved, go into staging/master and then David can choose (or not) to cherry pick it for the Website part of 2.18.

I somehow thing that once you are done your 'patch' will be large and need some significant reviewing whereas I am doing 'itty bitty' texinfo additions.

Such as:

https://codereview.appspot.com/40570043

James