Re: Website questions: Manual->Web

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Website questions: Manual->Web
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 10:53:03 +0100

Am 14.12.2013 04:57, schrieb Graham Percival:
On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 09:34:28PM +0100, Urs Liska wrote:
When I go there I can download the whole website as a PDF. OK, this
makes sense.
Getting it as one big HTML page also makes sense.
[but where can I get it in info format?)
We don't provide links to the info documents, because IMO none of
them have any images built-in.  info+images only happens through a
proper "make install", so that's not something we can offer on the
website.

But clicking on "Web (split HTML)" brings you to a copy of the whole
website, just several directories below the original.
I suppose we could hide that part in an @ifnothtml.

If this page is there for the first two items I mentioned the text
in the left box should definitely be clarified. Currently this
"manual" leads the reader to believe that he gets yet one more
manual, with some general information.
I wouldn't object to having a few sentences added to that box.

And there is one more thing I stumbled over (although I don't find
an instance of it right now): There are links from within the "real"
manuals that seem to link to the website but actually point to that
"web" manual (i.e. pages below lilypond.org/doc/2.17/web).
Unavoidable without a great deal of knowledge about the doc build
system and quite possibly GUB as well.

- Graham

OK:
What about Paul's suggestions: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2013-12/msg00232.html ?

If there's nothing in it which could be done I will:

- Rename the @node from Web to Website
- Clarify the introductory text
- Hide the link to "Web (split HTML)" for HTML pages
and leave it as it is.

I still think it's awkward that one may land on subpages (through the links from inside the manuals), but accept that it would be way too much work to do anything about it.
If that page Manuals->Website is there to download full versions of the website and states so in a clear way, I'm OK with it.

Urs