Re: Issue 3720: Built-in templates for SATB vocal scores (issue 41990043

From: tdanielsmusic
Subject: Re: Issue 3720: Built-in templates for SATB vocal scores (issue 41990043)
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 09:46:59 +0000

On 2013/12/14 22:32:06, Devon Schudy wrote:
This interface is unlike any other in Lilypond, in ways that make it
less
flexible and may surprise users:
  * It has two separate files that need to be included in the right
places.
  * It requires the user to use certain specific variable names.
  * The second include file doesn't just add definitions; it directly
produces
output.

All this is hopefully made clear in the description.
You should compare this approach with the existing
templates in the Learning Manual.  It is an attempt
to improve on them by

a) clearly separating music from layout;

b) requiring no change to the layout part to help
newcomers;

b) adding flexibility so two templates cover a range
of layouts without any layout changes being required.
I run a small choir and constantly need to generate,
transpose, and reset choral music in 2, 3 or 4 staves,
occasionally with descant, both with and without
accompaniment.  These two templates, so far, have met
all my, admittedly rather simple, needs.

  * The output isn't accessible for the user to modify (by e.g.
\transpose).

?

If there's library code for SATB,

There isn't

I'm not sure this is much of an improvement on just writing
\ChoralStaff,\lyricsto etc. manually, though.

Previously I used to do this, removing a staff context,
adding lyrics contexts, adding or removing piano staves
etc, as required.  This took time and was error-prone.
With these templates all that is unnecessary.  I find
it remarkably effective; my hope was that many other
similar users would do so too.

https://codereview.appspot.com/41990043/