Re: Web: Download: Add introductory text (issue 40510046)

From: Carl Peterson
Subject: Re: Web: Download: Add introductory text (issue 40510046)
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 13:50:53 -0500

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 4:25 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> Carl Peterson <address@hidden> writes:
>> Just thinking out loud here...would it be worth looking into tweaking the
>> .htaccess file to do OS-based redirection on the download page, like many
>> sites do? That way, if someone requests download.html, they are redirected
>> to download-win.html if the server detects Windows, download-mac.html if it
>> dectects OS X, download-nix.html for *nix, and so on, with
>> download-all.html being the current page (and .htaccess silently
>> redirecting here if there is no OS match). This would allow us to put all
>> the information on one page for an operating system and recommend or not
>> based on what is actually available.
>
> No, based on what computer is used for downloading.  That's more than
> often sufficiently different to make this a nuisance.  What we could
> attempt doing is to move the entry for the purportedly detected
> operating system to the top.

Fair enough. That said, I'm not sure we can do this without either (1)
introducing more redundancy in the individual documentation pages than
Graham was concerned about (because then we still have to present the
information on each page, just in a different order and layout), or
(2) utilizing back-end scripting (PHP, etc.) to custom-serve the
content based on the http header.

It is interesting that in recent memory, almost every site I go to for
downloadable software automatically serves the OS-specific version,
including both commercial sites and open-source, etc. projects.
Typically it would be something like:

<h1>Download LilyPond [version number] for [operating system]</h1>

href="download-all.html">click here</a>)</p>

[Present latest stable and dev versions side-by-side, with release
notes and licenses linked in]

[Insert note about LilyPond being text-based]

[Link to OS-specific editing solutions]

I'm not saying that this is necessarily the *best* solution, but I
think the success rate seems to be high enough to warrant looking at.