Re: Hat Tip for Erik Sandberg's Thesis

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Hat Tip for Erik Sandberg's Thesis
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 00:00:35 +0100

Alexander Dorsk <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi LilyPonders (Ponderers?),
>
> I'm new to the list, but just wanted to tip my hat to Erik Sandberg & his
> team of advisors for his thesis that's posted on the LilyPond page:
> http://lilypond.org/website/pdf/thesis-erik-sandberg.pdf .
>
> This thesis is the most clearly written description I've encountered of how
> to process encoded music notation. It definitely makes me appreciate the
> power of LilyPond even more.
>
> And I think this thesis is good not just for understanding LilyPond, but
> for music notation in general.
>
> The vocabulary and figures used in the thesis were especially helpful. For
> me, terms like 'music stream', and the 'context tree' illustration in
> figure 5 were what made the lightbulb go on above my head.

Well, don't go overboard with understanding LilyPond since the "music
stream" concept never got really implemented (IIRC, Erik worked on it,
but LilyPond moved ahead separately and the work was never merged, and
the disk he had stored his work on broke as well, so it's no longer
available at all).  The reality is less linear than a "stream".

All the best