Re: Automatically unfold percent and tremolo repeats in MIDI output. (is

From: dak
Subject: Re: Automatically unfold percent and tremolo repeats in MIDI output. (issue 769) (issue 40720060)
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 08:07:01 +0000

On 2013/12/22 07:01:10, Keith wrote:
On Sat, 21 Dec 2013 00:23:05 -0800, <mailto:address@hidden> wrote:

> Keith comments:
>> The other limitation of \unfoldRepeats is that it fails to see
repeats
> in
>> parallel expressions << {\repeat volta 2 s1 } {c2 d2} >> while this
> approach
>> using the iterators will see them and be able to expand them when
> requested.
>
> I think he is wrong about that.  I don't see anything inherent in
this
> code that would work differently here.

I meant the future of this approach, after there is the option to
unfold volta
repeats.

I was thinking that by doing the unfolding in the iterators
(as opposed to working on music expressions as \unfoldRepeats does)

But \unfoldRepeats does not do its actual unfolding work on music
expressions.  If it did, it would wreak havoc with \relative mode.  It
merely replaces the RepeatedMusic expression with an (still folded)
UnfoldedRepeatedMusic expression which is then actually expanded in its
respective iterator.

Which is exactly the same thing Devon's patch does, except that the
shortcircuit to the UnfoldedRepeatedMusic code path is taken without
changing the music, by factoring out the respective code for use by both
iterators.

It would not be easy, because there are nonsense cases like
    << {s1 \repeat volta 2 s1 } {c1~ c2 d2} >>
and probably some very similar things that actually make sense.

Things break down anyway as soon as we are talking about more than one
context.

https://codereview.appspot.com/40720060/