Re: Web:Introduction: Rename "Our Goal" box (issue 48430043)

From: dak
Subject: Re: Web:Introduction: Rename "Our Goal" box (issue 48430043)
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2014 11:25:15 +0000

On 2014/01/07 10:45:22, uliska wrote:

https://codereview.appspot.com/48430043/diff/1/Documentation/web/introduction.itexi
File Documentation/web/introduction.itexi (right):

https://codereview.appspot.com/48430043/diff/1/Documentation/web/introduction.itexi#newcode14
Documentation/web/introduction.itexi:14: @subheading Our Mission
On 2014/01/07 10:17:47, PhilEHolmes wrote:
> I dislike this intensely.  It smacks of corporate nonsense - read
the text
that
> large conglomerates have under "Our mission".  Please leave it as
goal, or
> something similar and non-corporate.

Too bad you didn't notice that in one of my earlier
suggestions...

I don't like the "Goal" because it sounds too much like
something unachieved.

Any other suggestions?

Well, "objective".  Now I don't want to committee-water-down everything
proposed, but it's rather exclusionary to state this as "the" objective:
basically it describes the main motivation for improving specific
aspects of the backend, basically centered around solving issues marked
as "Ugly".

Basically, it focuses on those metrics where we hope to make LilyPond
"better" than Finale or Sibelius or Capella or whatever.  But it does
not address those parts of LilyPond where it is _different_ from the
contenders.  For me, the main difference is that I can make LilyPond do
what I want, in a manner best suiting _my_ vision of how to create
music.  The backend, like a good orchestra, makes sure that I can focus
on my own vision rather than having to teach the tool the basics of good
music.  That's good since it frees my mind for that which is important,
namely talking to LilyPond about music rather than typesetting.

https://codereview.appspot.com/48430043/