Re: 3.0?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: 3.0?
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 12:04:06 +0100

Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:

> 2014/1/10 Urs Liska <address@hidden>:
>>
>> Well,
>> compiling a few measures of a single staff feels nearly instantaneous, and
>> when you're editing an orchestral score this makes a huge difference.
>>
>> Generally I'd think it would be a good idea to have such an interface in
>> Frescobaldi.
>

> I know that this is not exactly what we're talking about, but i
> believe that things like this (previewing music, partially compiled
> scores, instant feedback sacrificing some quality) are exactly what
> Denemo is for.  I honestly believe that Denemo would be invaluable to
> LilyPond if only it could open all Lily files, not just those created
> by itself.  (and if the UI&UX kinks would be ironed out).

One very nice integrated experience is offered by preview-latex
<URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/preview-latex>.  preview-latex
has no clue about the documents itself and does not actually "import"
them.  It does not parse them and does not touch the input or create a
representation of it.  There are several things it does for fast update
of single items (the first run is per-document, though):

a) it dumps a preloaded format including all "document classes" and
"document styles", namely everything before "\begin{document}".  This
operation is optional.

b) When rerunning material in a single item, it cuts it out, precedes it
with what it considers the "document preamble", follows it by what it
considers the "document ending", and runs that through.  That means,
obviously, that any macros you refer to have to be defined in the
"document preamble" or stuff won't work.  It's quite uncommon to arrange
a LaTeX source using actual macros, so that usually works pretty well.

When wanting to do that approach using LilyPond, the "preloaded format"
thing can be accommodated quite better than with TeX (which is taken
as-is as a binary): we can just have a LilyPond process waiting for
action, and use the session mechanism for providing a reasonably
prepared situation without needing a new process each time.

The problem is that LilyPond sources more often than not _are_ arranged
with macro definitions, so we need to get those dependencies right.