Re: Shape of individual ties in chords

From: Simon Bailey
Subject: Re: Shape of individual ties in chords
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 11:17:30 +0100

James,

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 10:56 AM, James <address@hidden> wrote:
>> there's a few things which are only documented in the learning manual. :)
>>

> Actually I would change that last sentence to read:
>
> There's a few things which are not documented in the Learning Manual.
>
> And this is a deliberate decision. If not, it's still a good decision.

i realised my mistake almost as soon as i pressed send. the link i
sent is to the NR and there's an amazing amount of information not
covered in the LM. Correctly so.

> I don't see q as being needed in  the Learning Manual as a good thing; apart
> from all the discussion how 'q' is a rather arbitrary 'command' - why 'q'?
> what does 'q' stand for etc., not knowing q doesn't lose you any
> functionality (i.e. there is nothing that q does that you cannot already do
> with the 'correct' syntax) but there are limitations using q - which
> are/should be documented in the Notation Reference.

two i can think of:
- it can't be quoted (at least i haven't found the correct event to quote yet)
- it can't be altered with relative octave-switch commands

> As to the quote:
>
> there's a few things which are only documented in the learning manual. :)
>
> That implies that we're missing things in the NR that shoudl be in there. If
> so then let the list know (address@hidden) and that can be fixed.

i remember looking for something fairly basic a while back and only
finding it in the LM. at the time, i decided that it deserves to be in
the LM and may not really be needed in the NR. however, for the life
of me, i cannot remember what it was i was looking for. :)

if i come across it again, i'll shout. ;)

regards,
sb

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of trombonists, for they are subtle and
quick to anger.