Re: Ubuntu and LilyPond from scratch

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Ubuntu and LilyPond from scratch
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 18:13:59 +0100

Am 21.02.2014 18:06, schrieb David Kastrup:
"Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> writes:

No sure if this is of interest to anyone, but I have just successfully
installed Ubuntu 12.04.4 from scratch, followed by git, and the
LilyPond repository.  Following the CG, I then ran autoconf and
configure, apt-got the missing packages, and successfully ran make all
and make doc.  I've never done this before from scratch - previously I
used Lily-dev - and was surprised how easy it was.

Some minor comments:

I had to apt-get autoconf to enable the autoconf script to run and
configure then required dblatex (a surprise - I thought this was no
longer used?) and texlive-lang-cyrillic.  That's all.  Quite easy.
make all and make doc then ran perfectly to completion.

You can probably just do

apt-get build-dep lilypond

to get the dependencies: I don't think they changed since Ubuntu 12.04.
It's conceivable that texlive-lang-cyrillic was not in that set (I think
Ubuntu 12.04 would have carried LilyPond 2.14 but am not sure).

Hassles only come into play when you have a manually installed TeXLive on board and do want to keep that ...