Re: Automated engraving benchmarks

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Automated engraving benchmarks
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2014 11:35:50 +0100

Am 28.02.2014 22:29, schrieb Trevor Daniels:

Urs Liska wrote Thursday, February 27, 2014 8:44 AM

Hi, I just had an idea.

I suggest creating a set of "benchmark scores" and putting them
somewhere on the website.

But of course we should then have "default" scores like a classical
piano piece, a string quartet and a moderately complex orchestral score.

Plus an SATB score with piano reduction ("for rehearsal only")

+1

What do you think?

Go for it!

OK, I'll do that (slowly), starting with a request for contributed scores on lilypond-user.

I had already written an email with my suggested proposition, the mentioned dodecaphonic study - which wasn't delivered since it was too large. So here it is:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49478835/lily-examples/variations-and-theme-default.pdf
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49478835/lily-examples/variations-and-theme-UE.pdf

The second one includes our (incomplete) UE style sheet and is compiled with our (even more incomplete) custom-built LilyPiond with UEesque Feta modifications (and the recently discovered G clef bug). This is rather for entertainment... The first one is plain LilyPond, except for adapting the page size and margins to the UE style, which is actually better for that score. This is what I'd propose for the benchmark series.

What do you think, where should such a set go? Of course it would be easier to maintain it in a separate Git repository, hosted anywhere. But I think it should be part of lilypond.org, which would additionally add it to make doc.
Opinions?
For a start I can of course set up a repo on Github until we have a useful collection.

Urs

Trevor