Re: [SPAM] Re: Serious feedback and improvement headroom

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [SPAM] Re: Serious feedback and improvement headroom
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 14:13:28 +0200

Joram Berger <address@hidden> writes:

>> Well, it's also in the market for dinosaur tools, namely text-based
>> batch processing tools.
>
> If dinosaur means that they will die out as time passes, I don't
> agree.

Living fossils, then.  The way of the horseshoe crab...

> Considering the recent emphasis on web-techniques, I feel like some
> people actually start liking text-based approaches due to the design of
> html, css, wikis, etc.
> Markdown is one popular example where text input and ease of use meet.
> Tools like the wiki-extension for LP are appreciated and used.

Well, a keyboard is a high information density input device.  And
reading is, at least for symbolic information, a high information
density carrying output channel with adaptable input speed.

Make no mistake: Wikis can provide input and output for more than just
text.  But it's still an efficient medium not just for writing.  It's
one of the reasons we can have an LSR and an active discussion list
bouncing non-trivial solutions around.  That's a bit tricky for
interactive software.