Re: Question about customizing emmentaler font

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Question about customizing emmentaler font
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 07:00:14 +0200 (CEST)

> [...]  They all show this artifact of rounded interior corners.  I
> promise I'm not just making this up.  They come from the punch
> manufacturing process AND the engraving process AND printing
> process.  I think it would be quite nice to incorporate these
> somehow, but maybe that's just me, in which case I would do it for
> myself.
>
> What I love about them is the eye doesn't really notice them when
> they are there, but I would argue that the eye DEFINITELY notices
> when they are NOT there, like with any of the major notation fonts
> today. If you need more examples, I'd be happy to supply
> them. Cheers!

Especially this example

http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/attachment/161770/2/barenreiter-examples.png

shows very well that what you want to achieve is not related to the
font itself: It's definitely one level `later', so to say: The round
edges, which can be clearly seen, are not only affecting the clef
outline but *every intersection* of lines, including bar lines!

In other words, what you need is a postprocessor that walks over the
whole lilypond output and changes every intersection to have rounded
edges.  For example, you need to emulate that effect also for slurs
that cross staff lines.

Unfortunately, I haven't found something in the internet (probably not
knowing the proper keywords to search for).  Here you can see a `path
smoother' in action:

  http://pyx.sourceforge.net/examples/drawing2/smoothed.html

And exactly this operation should be applied to all edges (and near
edges) in the image.

     Werner