Re: Issue 3917: Add \alternatingTimeSignatures (issue 97110045)

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Issue 3917: Add \alternatingTimeSignatures (issue 97110045)
Date: Fri, 09 May 2014 13:35:52 +0200

Am 09.05.2014 13:31, schrieb address@hidden:

https://codereview.appspot.com/97110045/diff/20001/Documentation/notation/rhythms.itely

File Documentation/notation/rhythms.itely (right):

https://codereview.appspot.com/97110045/diff/20001/Documentation/notation/rhythms.itely#newcode1780

Documentation/notation/rhythms.itely:1780: Different from compound time
signatures
As opposed to compound ...

But the sentence is totally incomprehensible even when fixing that.
"does not affect the musical structure because the different meters are
used individually"?  What is that supposed to mean?

OK:
\compoundMeter creates a time signature that is the sum of all used parts, and sets things like beatStructure according to its elements.

\alternatingTimeSignature simply prints a modified time signature and sets \time to its first element.
So if I have

6 7 8
8 8 8

only the 6/8 part is relevant to LilyPond, while the 7/8 and 8/8 are purely graphical, they are used as information for the performer, which time signatures can follow without further notice.

I admit that I had difficulties to express that in the short space it should be given.

Urs

https://codereview.appspot.com/97110045/