Re: astyle 2.02

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: astyle 2.02
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 00:08:56 +0200

> Graham Percival wrote:
>> However, fixcc.py should reject any version other than the
>> specific version we want.  Otherwise, you could run it on your
>> computer (and push it), then I could run it on my computer (and
>> push it), then you could do the same thing, and basically we'd end
>> up with an infinite sequence of formatting changes.
>
> Will fixcc.py's changes be committed often enough for this to matter?
> Lilypond seldom gets badly formatted code, so there's very little
> reason to reformat.

If "badly formatted" <=> "different than what fixcc.py would produce",
i would say that LilyPond often gets badly formatted code - as you
wrote, running fixcc now results in 400 lines of changes.

I think we should enourage developers to use fixcc more often, and
then Graham's concern is very valid.  I can say that having to move
past 5 code reformattings when doing git blame is pretty annoying, so
anything that introduces changes that are not necessary is really
unwelcome.

best,
Janek