Re: Adds incipit section to NR (issue 108270043 by address@hidden)

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Adds incipit section to NR (issue 108270043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 16:15:46 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, June 29, 2014 3:44 PM

https://codereview.appspot.com/108270043/diff/1/Documentation/notation/ancient.itely
File Documentation/notation/ancient.itely (right):

https://codereview.appspot.com/108270043/diff/1/Documentation/notation/ancient.itely#newcode2663
Documentation/notation/ancient.itely:2663: incipit =
That's nothing belonging in the manual proper.  It is an ad-hoc recipe.
Those belong in the snippets.

Incipits are common enough that we want to have them in the manual,
sure, but as a reasonably usable and maintained command rather than a
wagonload of snippet code.

That's embarrassing, to say the least.  At any rate, the snippet code
does not belong in NR proper.  Incipit functionality does, but not as a
snippet.  This needs to become a usable command out of the box again.

Well, it seems to me you're not considering why the snippets in the LSR are there. The CG says "A subset of these examples are automatically imported into the documentation, making it easy for users to contribute to the docs without learning Git and Texinfo." - so the snippets are designed to allow users who can't push doc changes to the repo a chance to add documentation to the manuals. Nothing to do with the sort of code, simply an alternative route.

When I wanted a usable incipit, I went straight to the section of the NR headed "Incipits" because I've worked out this is a good way of getting usable code. Unfortunately it said "TBC" which was as useful as a chocolate teapot. I eventually found this code, which does what I want, in the snippets/new directory.

Therefore I have created documentation to show how to produce standard-looking incipits quickly and simply. Had it been there when I wanted it, it would have saved me a lot of time.

Please feel free to correct errors in what I have contributed, but as a major user of the ancient music capabilities, I am convinced this section should be there. If the code is taken into the code base I'd be happy to update this section of the NR.

--
Phil Holmes