Re: difference between \column and \left-column?

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: difference between \column and \left-column?
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 07:22:55 -0500

Hi Harm,

On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 6:49 AM, Thomas Morley <address@hidden>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm working on some markup-commands.
>
> Currently we have the two markup-commands \column and \left-column.
> Whats the difference in usage between them?
> If there isn't any, why not get rid of one of them.
>
> \markup {
>   \column {
>     one
>     two
>     three
>   }
> }
>
> \markup {
>   \left-column {
>     one
>     two
>     three
>   }
> }

With your example, there's certainly no difference.  But try the following:

\markup {

  \column {

    \right-align { one }

    two

    \center-align { three }

  }

}

 \markup {

  \left-column {

    \right-align { one }

    two

    \center-align { three }

  }

}

The command left-column and friends map the alignment to the stencils,
replacing whatever was there in the first place.

--David