Re: Changing how a font style is requested

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: Changing how a font style is requested
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 10:29:51 +0200

Hi all,

since I could not find anything suitable to solve the issue described below, I decided to write a little patch. Please have a look at

    https://codereview.appspot.com/108700043

and tell me what you think about it.

[ BTW: This might or might not be entirely orthogonal to the music font selection methods which are debated about currently, in the sense that the feta font loader is hard-coded and built-in into make-pango-font-tree and the proposed make-expert-font-tree. Sorry, I did not follow those discussions in detail; but if you think that's a good time to integrate music font selection as well, please go ahead. ]

I could not see a way to achieve what I need in user-level Scheme, since add-font is not exposed publicly (and probably for a good reason). I'm happy to take comments on functionality and coding style; I will write a bit of documentation in addition to the regtest once (if?) you deem the interface acceptable.

I hope goals and syntax are somewhat self-explaining; otherwise, feel free to ask for further explanations. I barely added syntactic sugar (except the default font scale 1.0), but I'm willing to reconsider the input syntax to make-expert-font-tree if you have any better ideas. However, a front-end to it should be much more easy to write, and this is doable in user-level code.

Thanks in advance,
Alexander