Re: Add an expert font tree interface (issue 108700043 by address@hidden

From: perpeduumimmobile
Subject: Re: Add an expert font tree interface (issue 108700043 by address@hidden)
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 07:06:02 +0000

On 2014/07/17 06:36:20, dak wrote:
mailto:address@hidden writes:

>> > I wrote one now; didn't do it because I started with a copy of
>>
>> > It is not built into the docs, right?
>
>> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/internals/
>
> That's why I ask: it does not show up there.  Not in the list of
scheme
> functions, where I expected it (at least for the publicly defined
> functions), nor anywhere else AFAICS.
>
> And it seems that it's not just that I wrote a faulty docstring;
e.g. I
> could not find any mention of add-music-fonts or any other function
from
> scm/*.scm I looked for.

Correct.  Only the DOC strings of C functions or music functions (and
the syntactically similar "scheme functions" defined with
define-scheme-function and define-void-function).  Functions to be
called from Scheme and defined in Scheme are not automatically
mentioned
in the documentation.

Aha, I see.

But that does not mean that they should not receive a documentation
string.

Sure.

One will look it up via Scheme (from a command prompt via help)
or by looking at the definition.

Two follow-up questions:
1.) Is there a way to list all Lily scheme functions and/or all their
docstrings?  If you know what function or variable you are looking for,
the docstrings are obviously great.  But if I look for something which
matches your favourite buzzword, I currently grep in some way through
the entire scheme code.

2.) If I run `guile`, `(help)` gives me all sorts of info on how to use,
well, the help.  But if I run `lilypond scheme-sandbox`, `(help)` will
only show me a complaint "ERROR: Unbound variable: help".  Do I have to
use a special trick to access these docs in a guile REPL?

Thanks,
Alexander

https://codereview.appspot.com/108700043/