Re: LSR updates

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: LSR updates
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 17:36:57 +0200

"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

> OK - I've now confirmed the issue that has made me hold off a full LSR
> import to date.  In (for example)
> adding-an-extra-staff-at-a-line-break.ly the snippet in the LSR has:
>
> \once \override Staff.TimeSignature.stencil = ##f
>
> The snippet in git has:
>
> \once \omit Staff.TimeSignature
>
> which I realise is later syntax.

Wrong realization.  \omit TimeSignature is 2.17.4.  The xxx.xxx.xxx
syntax was introduced for both \omit as well as \override with 2.17.6.

> Does this mean that convert-ly does not update this syntax?

It does not rewrite for using this syntax.  If you want to _have_ it do
this rewrite (convert-ly unfortunately does not support optional
conversion rules), try cherry-picking

commit 7c0b941c3854a47f84e71827b761b0ae88d13803
Author: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
Date:   Tue Oct 15 16:46:22 2013 +0200

    Issue 3616: convertrules override/tweak/revert transparent/stencil ->
hide/omit/undo

and then running your conversion with that in place.  That's one of
several "rewrite our docs and own snippets to use a nicer but entirely
optional syntax" convert-ly rules that were used once and then reverted
after the work was done, because they are not actually necessary and can
conceivingly lead to trouble.

> If so, the only solution would appear to be to update the LSR manually
> for each instance of this kind of issue.
>
> In fact, since it is now at 2.18, we probably should do this syntax
> update wherever possible.

In the LSR?  Yes, sounds sensible.