Re: Next step for easier custom music font switching

From: James
Subject: Re: Next step for easier custom music font switching
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 17:32:31 +0100

On 23/07/14 17:08, Alexander Kobel wrote:
On 07/22/2014 02:58 PM, Urs Liska wrote:
On 22. Juli 2014 07:51:00 MESZ, James <address@hidden> wrote:
On 21/07/14 09:46, Alexander Kobel wrote:
On 07/20/2014 11:47 AM, Janek Warchoł wrote:
Btw, just to make sure: have you seen
https://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=4014 ?

Janek: thanks for the ping...  I'm currently travelling, I won't
have too much internet access for the next week or so, and then again
just for a few days til vacation starts.  In other words, don't
expect much time from me until mid-August.

So does that mean this patch 'needs work' now?

It's currently on countdown (I'm the owner/patch-shepherd as Alexander
doesn't have commit access).

IISC it does _not_ mean to postpone it, quite the contrary.

Yes and no. It does not necessarily mean to postpone the feature, but my intention for the announcement of the patch in its current shape was threefold:

a) (ACHIEVED.)
I needed the feature, right now. Well, turned out I didn't, but I thought I do.

b) (ACHIEVED.)
I wanted to have a draft ready before some interface for the music font changing is settled, because we might want to do both in one shot.

c) (TODO)
I hoped for a small comment or two about the (informal) interface proposal (by example). I do intend to write a piece of documentation about it, because I feel that already make-pango-font-tree is not as accessible for people which are not familiar with the Linux-/LaTeX-style {roman,sans,monospace}-default-definition idea. I might be mistaken, though. On the other hand, I actually don't know if it is correct when I say: "the Pango description string for the font, which is passed as-is to the Pango interface". Is this Pango? Is it fontconfig? Is it correct that `fc-match <string>` will tell me what `(make-expert-font-tree '((... <string>)) ...)' will do, or almost, but not quite? I'm kinda lost there myself.

The last one is the big TODO, and the reason why I'm also fine with postponing it. And I don't want to have it in master unless it's reasonably unlikely that the interface (let's say the format of font-spec-list) will change within a few days.

Thanks Alex.

Well I will have to leave it to those that understand the implications of pushing the patch in its current state to let me know when I do the countdown tomorrow.

regards

James