Re: Adds incipit section to NR (issue 108270043 by address@hidden)

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Adds incipit section to NR (issue 108270043 by address@hidden)
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 12:54:31 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 12:46 PM

https://codereview.appspot.com/108270043/diff/20001/ly/property-init.ly
File ly/property-init.ly (right):

https://codereview.appspot.com/108270043/diff/20001/ly/property-init.ly#newcode298
ly/property-init.ly:298: scale-factor = #1757/1000
Uh what?  Why are you overriding the scale-factor here?  This cannot
possibly be correct except possibly for a single staff size.

What are you trying to achieve?

https://codereview.appspot.com/108270043/

When this was discussed earlier, we discovered that the dimensions within "\layout { $(ly:grob-layout grob)" are incorrectly scaled. This is demonstrable by using the function I've provided with and without that scaling factor. With the scaling factor, the incipits are the correct size.

See the exchange below: your comments with > and mine below that. This from 4 July.

I don't really have an idea where the scale of ly:grob-layout is
actually coming from, but it would appear like the compensation for
issue 677 will not work for both the standard \layout and the grob
layout, the latter apparently already being scaled ?

At any rate, if calculations with sizes are done, it would seem
imperative to be talking about the same cm, so possibly the scaling in
issue 677 does not happen at the right place.

I checked how far out the scaling of the markup score was prior to 677: by
ruler I measured it as being a factor of 1.76. The command-line output
shows \cm as being 10 for the "normal" layout, and 5.69 for the \layout with
$(ly:grob-layout grob). The ratio between these is 1.757. So it seems
clear that the problem is related to 677, although I clearly have no idea
what's going on.

I can post this as a bug, but I'm guessing it would be tricky to fix. Would
you object to scaling the dimensions of the incipit (in the incipit code)
line-width and indent by the 1.76 factor, to work round the problem?

Phil Holmes