Re: AccidentalCautionary in NullVoice

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: AccidentalCautionary in NullVoice
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2014 17:25:39 -0700

On Sat, 23 Aug 2014 13:16:22 -0700, Dan Eble <address@hidden> wrote:

On Aug 23, 2014, at 08:03 , Dan Eble <address@hidden> wrote:

I think I’m really close (again!) to getting modern-voice-cautionary
accidentals with combined-part stems by defining a new accidental style that
disregards the part combiner’s voices.

It looks to me like make-limited-accidental-rule limits the creation of
accidentals to a particular context, but it seems the accidental engraver would
still consider the history of pitches recently seen throughout the staff.

Each context Staff, Voice, your previous SpecialVoiceGroup,  keeps track of
accidentals in a data structure called localAlterations.  You might need to
initialize it with \set SpecialVoiceGroup.localAlterations = #'()

Your previous approach with the SpecialVoiceGroup seemed more promising, if
that group includes only the separate voices for each part, and if you move the
accidental_engraver to that group.

It appears that in some cases both a cautionary and a normal accidental are
typeset.  If just the normal accidentals were typeset, the output of the
following example would be exactly what I want.  Is this a bug?

In your latest code, the interaction between contexts and the setter routines
is complicated, but as I understand it, the partcombine voices are still
producing accidentals following the portion of the rule that was not restricted
to NullVoice.  That portion includes a rule to produce Cautionaries, but no
rule for normal Accidentals.  Those voices, made by partcombine, produce the
cautionary (in black) because those voices didn't produce any normal
accidentals.