Re: brainstorming a really smart system engraver

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: brainstorming a really smart system engraver
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 19:40:54 -0400

Hi all,

>> I think that issue 3518 (pushed recently) does just this:
>> https://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=3518
>
> It doesn't do the automatic "AI nightmare" part.

Yes, unfortunately...

> However, it provides the low level machinery for pulling in the "maximally
> required" number
> of staves between automatic or manual line breaks, where the requirement
> is determined by working with keep-alive-interfaces and tags on the
> various staff variants.

That could be helpful!

I still need to wrap my head around how this framework/machinery works (or
doesn’t) with true content-presentation separation; the example on the Google
Code page has multiple "\context Staff” calls buried in the \violins note
definition, which to my mind mixes content with presentation in an unfortunate
way.

> It's a solid framework for a solid part of the job.

I’ll be interested in my testing to see what percentage of real-world scenarios
this part represents.

> The important thing to note is that this framework does _not_ require
> manual tampering with line breaks to arrive at "correct" results.

That is a critical and wonderful feature.

Thanks,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
www:  <http://www.kierenmacmillan.info>