Re: GUB fail with smob templates

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: GUB fail with smob templates
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 17:19:27 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, September 14, 2014 4:50 PM

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

Phil Holmes <address@hidden> writes:

GUB failed today with the following errors:

/home/gub/gub/target/darwin-ppc/src/lilypond-git.sv.gnu.org--lilypond.git-
release-unstable/lily/include/unpure-pure-container.hh: In static member
function 'static scm_unused_struct* Unpure_pure_container::make_smob
(scm_unused_struct*, scm_unused_struct*)':
/home/gub/gub/target/darwin-ppc/src/lilypond-git.sv.gnu.org--lilypond.git-
release-unstable/lily/include/unpure-pure-container.hh:39:
error: 'template<class Super> class Smob2' used without template parameters
/home/gub/gub/target/darwin-ppc/src/lilypond-git.sv.gnu.org--lilypond.git-
release-unstable/lily/include/unpure-pure-container.hh:40:
error: 'template<class Super> class Smob2' used without template parameters

I assume this is http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=4082

The actually flagged code is in issue 4086 instead, though 4086 heavily
depends on 4082.

but it's way over my head to know what the problem is.

Possibly an older gcc version.  Are these the only errors?  In a
parallel build, one would expect to run across several errors in
different files before compilation bombs out.  Would be good to know
and/or have some further complaints to look at.

I'll try brooding over the error messages and see whether they suggest
some syntax that might be more palatable to older gcc versions.

Pushed a matching fix.  It does not appear that this particular problem
is coded elsewhere.  I think that the compiler complaint might be
correct even though my newer GCC variant does not bother mentioning it.

I'll run patchy-staging and try to restart GUB. Unlikely there will be an upload today, though: likely I'll go tomorrow.

--
Phil Holmes