Re: Compact Chord Symbols Patch

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Compact Chord Symbols Patch
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2014 15:48:22 +0200

Richard Shann <address@hidden> writes:

> Well, I certainly tried to do this without attacking the core code
> itself, but I'd love it if there were some point of entry (a scheme
> engraver?) that would allow chord symbols to be drawn by a user
> generated routine (this is everything, including bass inversions).

The core code, both for identifying chord names as well as for
formatting them, sucks.  I am not overly enthused about the conversion
from chord mode entry to actual chords, but meddling with that rather
than later stages would make it hard to use the same input for, say,
keyboard, guitar, and accordion chords.

At any rate, the various chord name and chord naming and identification
functions are designed with some generality and replaceability in mind,
but the mechanisms available for that do not work well in practice
except possibly per-document, and that would defeat producing, say,
keyboard and accordion chords from the same input.