Re: Change default MIDI file extension to '.mid'

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Change default MIDI file extension to '.mid'
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 14:35:36 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Davide Liessi" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, January 05, 2015 12:02 PM
Subject: Change default MIDI file extension to '.mid'

Dear all,

many programs that can read MIDI accept both '.mid' and '.midi' as file name extension, however many other programs only accept '.mid'.

The only noteworthy reference I could find online is
http://www.midi.org/aboutmidi/tut_midifiles.php
where they explicitly say that «the PC file extension for an SMF [Standard MIDI File] is .MID» and they never mention '.midi'.

I think that LilyPond should use the most widely accepted '.mid' as default extension for the MIDI files it produces, instead of current '.midi'.

This is the default on my Windows Vista PC system. Don't know why, but that's what appears when I create midi output.

--
Phil Holmes