Re: Ossias and key signatures

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Ossias and key signatures
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 13:07:48 +0100

> Phil Holmes <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> I'm not top posting.
>>
>> Sending this via the Gmane interface, since my direct emails to the
>> mailing list never seem to get through.
>>
>> I'm doing some music with a lot of Ossia staves as vocal cues, and have
>> discovered 2 spacing issues that would appear to be caused by the
>> permanent staves reserving unnecessary space for the ossia's key sig.  The
>> code below gives the output which I will attach to a reply to this: you
>> will see that the first line has an unnecessary extension at its end; also
>> that the WMR in measure 20 is displaced to the right.
>>
>> I'm assuming this is a bug: anyone know if it's easily fixable?
>
> This is not a direct answer to your question: when we fiddle together by
> hand functionality such as ossia and some things look inappropriate for
> an ossia, it is tricky to call it a bug unless the visuals are
> inappropriate even for the components from which we make our "ossia".
> If they are just problematic because we want to call the result an ossia
> stave, they are not a bug.
>
> In order to turn such an inconvenience into a proper bug and fix it, we
> need a dedicated command for creating an ossia stave.  Once we have
> that, any behavior unsuitable for an ossia stave is a bug and can be
> fixed.
>
>> {
>>   \new Staff = "Tenors"
>>   <<
>>     \new Voice {  \time 3/4 \key ges \major \repeat unfold 24 ces''4
>>     <<
>>       {
>>        R1*3*3/4
>>       }
>>       {
>>       \new Staff \with {
>>         \remove "Time_signature_engraver"
>>         alignAboveContext = #"Tenors"
>>         \override StaffSymbol #'staff-space = #(magstep -3)
>>         fontSize = #-2
>>       }
>>       <<
>>         \new Voice { \key ges \major r2 aes'4 \repeat unfold 6 aes'4
>>         }
>>       >>
>>       }
>>     >>
>>     \repeat unfold 24 ces''4
>>
>>     <<
>>       {
>>        R1*3*3/4
>>       }
>>       {
>>       \new Staff \with {
>>         \remove "Time_signature_engraver"
>>         alignAboveContext = #"Tenors"
>>         \override StaffSymbol #'staff-space = #(magstep -3)
>>         fontSize = #-2
>>       }
>>       <<
>>         \new Voice { \key ges \major r2 aes'4 \repeat unfold 6 aes'4
> [...]

Hi,

I'd agree. We have no really convincing functionality to add ossias
and tweaking them. It's far to often maual work.
Btw, I tested the originak code with 2.12.2, 2.14.2, 2.16.2, 2.18.0, 2.19.15.
All versions return similiar output.

Phil, I think the output of your code can be fixed by adding some more commands:

{
  \new Staff = "Tenors"
  <<
    \new Voice {  \time 3/4 \key ges \major \repeat unfold 24 ces''4
    <<
      {
       R1*3*3/4
      }
      {
      \new Staff \with {
        \remove "Time_signature_engraver"
        alignAboveContext = #"Tenors"
        \override StaffSymbol #'staff-space = #(magstep -3)
        fontSize = #-2
      }
      <<
        \new Voice {
            \once \set Score.explicitKeySignatureVisibility = ##(#f #f #t)
            \key ges \major r2 aes'4 \repeat unfold 6 aes'4
        }

      }

    \repeat unfold 24 ces''4

    <<
      {
      \override MultiMeasureRest.spacing-pair = #'(staff-bar . staff-bar)
       R1*3*3/4
      }
      {
      \new Staff \with {
        \remove "Time_signature_engraver"
        alignAboveContext = #"Tenors"
        \override StaffSymbol #'staff-space = #(magstep -3)
        fontSize = #-2
      }
      <<
        \new Voice { \key ges \major r2 aes'4 \repeat unfold 6 aes'4
        }

      }

    \repeat unfold 15 ces''4

    }