Re: Google Summer of Code

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Google Summer of Code
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2015 17:26:45 +0100

Am 08.02.2015 um 15:45 schrieb James Lowe:
On 07/02/15 23:47, Urs Liska wrote:
Am 08.02.2015 um 00:12 schrieb James Lowe:
On 07/02/15 21:06, David Garfinkle wrote:
Hi,

I'm a Math, CS, and music student at McGill and I just read
about the google student summer program. I would love to help
develop LilyPond! How can I get involved/what projects are up
for grabs/do I suggest my own project?
http://lilypond.org/google-summer-of-code.html
But David should note that this page is quite out-of-date.
Actually it isn't at all. This page was updated December last year - 2
months ago.

I was asked specifically to *update* this page and it seems it has
been done.

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=commit;h=5e7bd5c0a08893881d2c65d1440005455b43027f

So if there is anything that is not relevant then let's remove it.

OK, I have the following problems with that page. Sorry if I seem to have failed to express these when you were actually working on the page:

 * Is the grace notes issue up-to-date in so far as Mike Solomon and
   Carl Sorensen are available as mentors (I mean, without mentors a
   project is not really possible)?
 * MusicXML should definitely be considered in the context of actual
   development taking place in the Frescobaldi context. At least it
   should be harmonized with that effort. And: same question as above:
   Are Reinhold Kainhofer and Mike Solomon actually available as mentors?
 * Slurs and ties:
   There has been significant work by Janek WarchoĊ‚ preparing the task
   of improving ties. OTOH David Kastrup has strongly expressed the
   opinion that this project isn't really suitable for GSoC.
 * One of the most crucial project is missing from the list: Guile 2.0
   migration. Here it is the other way round: David has explained why
   this actually would be a good GSoC project.

Urs

James