Re: Draft: Extended mensural notation support

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Draft: Extended mensural notation support
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 08:38:44 +0100 (CET)

>> To simplify the process, I suggest that you get write access to the
>> lilypond git repository so that you can add such incremental
>> patches to one or more separate branches (I like this method
>> bettern than the `modern' way of forking lilypond at github, then
>> followed by push requests) – unfortunately, with Rietveld you only
>> see all commits squeezed to a single commit.  After a first review,
>> you could add a new branches that replaces older ones with better
>> commits, etc., etc.  If we have concensus, it should be easy then
>> to merge everything into `staging'.
>
> Thanks for this advice. I'm afraid I have to admit I'm a total
> novice at dealing with these kinds of versioning tools, "commits"
> and "branches" and stuff, so I can only hope I'll manage these
> things without messing up too much.

Don't worry, we will assist you.  If you restrict your actions to one
or more separate branches, you won't interfere with anything else.

> I also found dealing with Metafont a real challenge - I just about
> managed to get the shapes the way I wanted them, but the code might
> still be quite messy and technically sub-optimal.

Indeed, it is sub-optimal – a lot of glyphs defined in
`parmesan-custom.mf' are simple translations from outline fonts.  It
would be necessary to convert them to *constructed* outlines so that
size-specific parameters are taken into account.  This is a very
time-consuming process, I fear, but in the end you get something
better :-)

    Werner