Re: Reasons for cross-voice limitations?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Reasons for cross-voice limitations?
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 07:58:02 +0200

Kevin Barry <address@hidden> writes:

> For sure the voice context limitations are a pain, and if I knew how, I
> would write a function for starting and finishing slurs without the need
> for creating a hidden voice, but I don't even know if it is possible. In my
> own head, I imagine that LilyPond `thinks' in voices and there isn't much
> that can be done about that. Practically 100% of my work is either piano
> music or music reduced to two staves, so I bump up against this issue all
> the time. I never use the part combiner.

You can move the slur engraver to Staff level and use spanner-id for all
slurs.  But that will make you lose cross-staff slurs.  Of course, you
can use the slur engraver to Score level, but then you really have to
work your spanner-id variety.

This would warrant a better mechanism to transplant spanners to a
different context: basically one would want a mechanism to listen to
slur endings in a different context than to slur starts.  Possibly
optionally with a \once qualification.