Re: Add sans-serif and monospace fonts (issue 224800043 by address@hidde

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Add sans-serif and monospace fonts (issue 224800043 by address@hidden)
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 00:17:58 +0200

Am 09.04.2015 um 11:36 schrieb David Kastrup:
Simon Albrecht <address@hidden> writes:

Am 09.04.2015 um 07:14 schrieb address@hidden:
On 2015/04/08 20:18:55, lemzwerg wrote:

It's not clear to me what you expect and how it should work.
Letting PostScript ask for Helvetica which will let GhostScript fall
back to the URW version when the original Helvetica is not available.
If I understand correctly, we currently ask for and embed the URW
version.  But maybe printers have their own way to resubstitute the
original.
I don’t get your point here. Don’t we have convenient mechanisms to
select other fonts than default?
\paper {
   fonts = #(set-global-fonts #:sans "Helvetica")
}
The idea was to get optimal results from a clueless user delivering
default content to a clueless publisher/printer using standard (and
probably expensive) equipment.

I've had some publishing project where the default layout specs called
for "Arial".  Which is actually a non-trivial feat to produce using TeX.
When looking at example printed drafts from the publisher providing the
specifications however (rather than the DOC files produced according to
specs), it became obvious that "Arial" was just an intermediary and
would have been substituted by Helvetica anyway at the printing stage.

Now I don't want to suggest that LilyPond should produce DOC files using
Arial (Bach forbid) but getting as close as possible to the workflow of
the clueless anticipated by the provider of professional tools seems
advisable.

I just don't have an idea what that workflow would actually be.

I'm afraid that workflow would definitely involve one of the major WYSIWY(unfortunately)G tools and any OpenType fonts.

But seriously (@Simon): The point is also to ensure consistent output when users choose "sans" or "monotype" *without* specifying a font explicitly. Currently the output of this is more or less random and depends on the user's system - a nightmare when sharing "open", i.e. uncompiled documents.

Urs