Images in doc

From: Joram
Subject: Images in doc
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 10:34:17 +0200

Hi,

is it a general no-go to have images in the docs? I know these counter
arguments:
1. not helpful for visually impaired users
2. larger binary blobs for version control
3. reduced ability to edit, recreate and update

However, I see big advantages in some cases, for instance settings of
vertical spacing. Right now, the text must explain in length which
distances we are talking about. And even worse: The impatient user must
read several pages to understand it. As we have seen many give up
beforehand. *In addition* to the text an image would be very helpful.
The issues above could be addressed by:

1. images only in addition to the text explanation
2.+3. use image-creating scripts (post script, svg, tikz, whatever is
best suited)

If there are changes to include that to the docs and I hear about the
way/program to create the image, I could come up with a proposal.

Cheers,
Joram