Re: Understanding and modifying font nodes

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: Understanding and modifying font nodes
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 11:34:15 +0200

On 2015-04-26 01:05, Urs Liska wrote:
I have wrapped around about anything I could think of, but I'm stuck and
would greatly benefit of some help now.

I'm working on the font interface and will (hopefully soon) present a
patch that may improve font handling (with the new alternative fonts
provided by Abraham) significantly. The last big obstacle is modifying
the add-font procedure in font.scm to an "add-or-replace-font"
behaviour. The idea is removing the annoying limitation that fonts can
only be set once and not reset. In order to change anything one has to
recreate the complete font-tree.

Hi Urs,

I agree that this is highly cumbersome. Not that it helps, but let me remark that some time ago I tried to achieve the same, and have not been successful.

On a different note, at least it looks as if by now we can remove that annoying manual font scaling for non-default global staff sizes by setting
  (/ (* staff-height pt) 2.5)
as a default factor. This remedies one of the potential user problems.

It boils down that I simply don't understand what's going on inside the
font nodes and how many of them are processed in the iterations,
regardless how much debug printing I use to get to grips with it.

+1 from me... :-/

Best,
Alexander