Re: absolute pitch entry: accept an offset octave (issue 235010043 by ad

From: k-ohara5a5a
Subject: Re: absolute pitch entry: accept an offset octave (issue 235010043 by address@hidden)
Date: Mon, 04 May 2015 03:59:05 +0000

On 2015/05/03 16:42:02, Trevor Daniels wrote:

a continuous scale would be \relativeOctave { c, d e f g a b c' d e f
... }.
The c' resets the octave.  This doesn't work so well for a melody
oscillating a
tone or two above and below a c, of course, but it does avoid multiple
''' and
,,,.

This allows an entry method that is somewhere between \relative and
\absolute

I tried it a little, and find that I like it better than current
\relative, but not as much as
  \transpose c c, {\clef bass c d e f g a b c' d' e' f' ... }

I always know if the next pitch I am typing is in the high- mid- or low
octave of an instruments' range, but somehow cannot remember the octave
of the previous pitch that I typed.  (Well, I can remember the previous
note while entering a scale, but not in more complicated cases.)

I'm proposing \absolute c'' {}  because the only complaint I hear about
absolute entry is the repeated ' characters, but I don't see anyone
using \transpose c c'' {} to simplify the typing.

https://codereview.appspot.com/235010043/