Re: Improving the Contributors Guide and LilyDev

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: Improving the Contributors Guide and LilyDev
Date: Mon, 4 May 2015 21:10:40 -0400

Hi Federico,

> On May 4, 2015, at 12:32 PM, Federico Bruni <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hi Paul, thanks for the suggestions.
>
> As Debian Jessie was released few days ago, I was thinking about a new
> LilyDev.

Hey, that’s great timing!

> I think I'll first upgrade to a more recent version of live-build and then
> add the modifications you are suggesting.

Ok, thanks!  Something to consider for geany and gedit:

They both have highlighting for c++, .css, and .py files,
gedit also has it for .scm, .itexi, .itely, and .make files,
but geany doesn’t have it for these.
(And neither has it for .ly files.)

> Automatic formatting/indenting of C++ files currently doesn't work "out of
> the box” and there’s no easy way to manually get it to work.  Artistic Style
> 2.02 is required for LilyPond’s fixcc.py but LilyDev3 has 2.01, which is the
> version provided by Debian and the only version available through apt-get.
> Version 2.02 is no longer available from SourceForge.  Possible solution:
> make fixcc.py work with Artistic Style 2.01 (Federico wrote that LilyDev will
> provide the default Debian version of Artistic Style so that rules out
> upgrading it to 2.02.)  (Another possible solution: does LilyPond need its
> own formatting style or would the GNU one work fine and avoid this
> maintenance/overhead?)
>
> Jessie has version 2.04:
> https://packages.debian.org/jessie/astyle
> <https://packages.debian.org/jessie/astyle>
>
> Is it ok?

It's definitely better.  The comment in fixcc.py is pretty insistent that it
only works with astyle 2.02 so I think we'll need a tracker issue for updating
fixcc.py to work with astyle 2.04 (but at least upgrading should be easier than
downgrading).

Thanks for all your work on LilyDev,
-Paul