Combining \layout variables

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Combining \layout variables
Date: Tue, 5 May 2015 15:27:51 +0100

Multiple layout blocks can be combined in sensible ways, with later definitions
taking precedence over earlier ones on an item by item basis, but the same is
not true when layout blocks are assigned to variables.  See
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/the-layout-block

What I would like to do is to combine two layout blocks contained in variables
in the same way as layout blocks at top level are combined, item by item, but
it seems this is not possible, at least I haven't been able to achieve it.  Is
this indeed not possible?

Trevor