Re: LilyPond Serif/Sans Serif/Monospace Text Fonts?

From: Masamichi HOSODA
Subject: Re: LilyPond Serif/Sans Serif/Monospace Text Fonts?
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 15:39:23 +0900 (JST)

> Greetings, Dev Team!
>
> I was just browsing through some of the latest code (in scm/font.scm) and I
> noticed that the default text font names are now LilyPond Serif, LilyPond
> Sans Serif, and LilyPond Monospace. Do such fonts actually exist or are
> these just place holders? It looks like the fontconfig allows for a
> fallback fonts anyway. It's not a big deal. I was just curious. Looks like
> Masamichi Hosoda made these changes.
>
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=commit;h=28f58ecc2271956e9377dc61e5135ce3ade4abbd
>
> Thanks for everything you all do to make this program what it is today!
>
> - Abraham

LilyPond Serif, LilyPond Sans Serif and Lilypond Monospace are aliases
those are defined by fonts/lilypond-fonts.conf.
fonts/lilpond-fonts.conf is LilyPond's own fontconfig configure file.
For example, LilyPond Serif is defined by this file like following:

```
  <alias binding="strong">
    <family>LilyPond Serif</family>
    <prefer>
      <family>Century Schoolbook L</family>
      <family>DejaVu Serif</family>
    </prefer>
    <default>
      <family>serif</family>
    </default>
  </alias>
```

The charactor that is contained in Century Schoolbook L:
The glyph of Century Schoolbook is used.

The charactor that is not contained in Century Schoolbook L,
but is contained in DejaVu Serif:
The glyph of DejaVu Serif is used.