Re: LSR eyeglasses snippet

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: LSR eyeglasses snippet
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 14:57:41 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2015 2:39 PM

Phil Holmes <address@hidden> writes:

I don't understand why this snippet is present: can anyone explain?

http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=982

It was implemented in LilyPond's core in 2.13.0 with

commit 243b15925ff3ef8b0384ffd0a6ce6664ad19da99
Author: Reinhold Kainhofer <address@hidden>
Date:   Fri Jan 30 21:30:24 2009 +0100

   Implement \eyeglasses as markup command

   -) implement \eyeglasses as markup command, using the postscript stored
      in the eyeglassesps variable
   -) Use this markup command in musicxml2ly, too
-) Add regtest for \eyeglasses (in a \markup and as a markup attached to
      a note)
   -) Remove the eyeglasses example from the postscript command and
      replace it by two rings (the stereo symbol) written in postscript

and presumably the snippet predates this?

No - it postdates it considerably. It would seem that it re-implements the \eyeglasses command, but with absolute rather than relative co-ordinates. I don't understand why this might be beneficial.

--
Phil Holmes